Dental crowns are one of the most crucial tooth restorations that dentists use today. Thanks to crowns, we can help extend the lifespan and function of a damaged or weakened tooth.
Let’s take a look at the benefits of dental crowns in Bridgeton, NJ, and the process for getting them.
What Does a Dental Crown Do?
If your dentist recently recommended a tooth crown, one of several things might be happening:
- A large tooth cavity can’t be fixed with a filling
- A broken or cracked tooth requires protection from further damage
- A root-canaled tooth needs a crown to strengthen it
- A dental implant in your jaw requires a crown to restore function and appearance
- A tooth has cosmetic flaws, and a crown is needed to conceal them
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped jacket of porcelain that fits over an entire tooth down to the gum line. It is meant to restore your ability to use the tooth to chew and absorbs chewing forces to protect the damaged or broken tooth.
The Process for Getting a Tooth Crown
When placing dental crowns, your Bridgeton, NJ dentist needs to perform several steps that take place over two appointments.
- Reshape your tooth to receive the crown
- Take impressions of your teeth.
- Create a model of your teeth
- Choose a custom tooth shade, so the crown blends with your smile.
- Create a temporary crown to protect your tooth
- Send the model and shade selection to a custom dental lab.
At the lab, skilled technicians customize your new tooth crown to your dentist’s precise specifications. When it is ready, you will return to your dentist, who will remove your temporary, adjust the new crown as needed and cement it securely on your tooth.
Schedule a Dental Crown Appointment in Bridgeton, NJ
If you have been told you need one or have been investigating dental crowns in 08302, please call Boss Dentistry for more information. We would be happy to schedule an appointment with Dr. Richard Boss, who will review your needs and see if a crown is the right solution for you.